Thursday, July 16, 2009

Torre book a must-read


Finally got a chance to read Joe Torre's "The Yankee Years." It really is a must-read for the die-hard Yankee fan. I'd already read all of the books written about the late '90s championship teams, so I was more interested in reading about the 2004-2007 teams, which I thought were good enough to win it all, but came up way short. This book does a good job and explaining why, from the way some GMs started to change the way they evaluated talent, to the steroid era, to the simple fact that most of the guys the Yanks brought in to replace the championship players simply weren't as good, especially the pitchers. The demise of George also plays into it, as do some interesting other factors. I was a bit down on Torre after the 2005, 2006 and 2007 seasons, but after reading this book, I now really feel he was the best manager for the Yankees and for NYC, and he should have been able to leave on his own terms. I got the book for Father's Day and finished it in about two weeks. Highly recommended.

No comments:

'The Banner' gets signed by ‘The Chosen One’ Nearly 30 years ago, my friends and I gave Don Mattingly our own special nic...