Thursday, August 7, 2008

Your Top-5 Yanks?


There's lots of nice nostalgia around this season with it being that last year at "The Stadium." In the spirit of looking back on good times and great players, we ask: Who are your all-time favorite Yankees? Sure, we all know Ruth, Gehrig, Berra and DiMaggio were out-of-this-world great, but those great Yanks played well before many of us started following the team.
Here's my list of guys I saw play:
5. Ron Guidry
4. Derek Jeter
3. Mariano Rivera
2. Reggie Jackson
1. Don Mattingly
Who's your top-five?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to include a few from before my time as well:

1. Roger Maris
2. Jason Giambi
3. Mo
4. Mickey Mantle
5. Jorge Posada

- Stephanie, Edwardsville

Anonymous said...

This is just how I feel at the moment but the list is probably pretty consistent. The order might not be though. I too went back before my time.

1. Mantle, even with his self destructive lifestyle, he was top of the game in his time. Imagine what he could have been with a healthy body.

2. Paul O'Neill. Yanks haven't had anyone work an at bat since he retired, and he did it every at bat. Played hard and consistent.

3. Mattingly. Another guy who played hard every time he took the field, and easily the highlight of the dark period.

4. Yogi. 10 Rings. 15 time all star, 3 time MVP. Not to mention beloved baseball icon.

1. Mo. His stats say it all. Best reliever to play the game period.

Anonymous said...

1. Mickey Mantle
2. Mariano Rivera
3. Whitey Ford
4. Don Mattingly
5. Thurman Munson

- John, Kingston

'The Banner' gets signed by ‘The Chosen One’ Nearly 30 years ago, my friends and I gave Don Mattingly our own special nic...