Saturday, August 16, 2008

Melky demoted, Sexson released, Cashman finally vents, throws Yanks under bus ...


After three years on the Yankee roster, Melky Cabrera was sent down to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Friday. And the recently aquired Richie Sexson was released. And Cashman threw the team and himself under the bus. From the NY Post:
"What we need is obviously the guys that you're counting on, the guys that are making a significant amount of money and have significant performance levels, to get the job done as expected. And I'll throw myself . . . in that too. . . . We're all in this thing together."
Cabrera, who turned 24 on Monday, has been terrible, hitting .242 overall and .212 with a staggering four RBIs in his past 40 games.
"He's a better player than this, and he knows it," Cashman said. "You could take Melky's name and change it with a lot of guys on this field right now that are making a hell of a lot more money than Melky Cabrera and they're better than what they've shown too."

3 comments:

AKS said...

Some thoughts:
1) Melky demoted - Good. Yes, he has the best arm of any Yankee centefielder in my lifetime (Rivers, Henderson, Kelly, Williams and Damon could not throw), but so what? You've got to get some hits. I'll sacrifice one guy getting gunned down at third or home once every 10 games for a few more hits every night. The name of the game is runs, especially in the AL.
2) Sexson released - Good. Guy had a hole in his swing the size of the Grand Canyon.
3) Cashman vents - Good. It was time for the bus to come out from somebody in management.

Anonymous said...

They were lucky to win Saturday, but today was a nice solid ass beating. Just what the doctor ordered. I have not given up on the wildcard yet. - Mel

Anonymous said...

Melky better watch out..Gardner looks like he wants to stay for a while.

As for a playoff spot..I've given up..the remaining schedule is TOUGH, and they haven't shown me anything that tells me they can get this done. If they do..GREAT, but I'm not getting my hopes up just because they threw a beating on a bad pitcher and a bad team today. They're going up against Burnett and Halliday this week, and don't look now, but the Jays are only a few games behind us. They drop this series..which is very possible, and suddenly they're almost in the cellar, with a ton of teams ahead of them for even the Wild Card.

I'm looking forward to next April..

Rich

'The Banner' gets signed by ‘The Chosen One’ Nearly 30 years ago, my friends and I gave Don Mattingly our own special nic...