Thursday, August 21, 2008

My magic number: 4 out on Sept. 1


OK, here's the real deal, at least in my opinion ...

Back in the '80s - when we had Donnie, Winfield and Henderson, but when there was no Wild Card - it seemed like the Yanks always hung in there deep into the season, but could never win the East and make the playoffs. Great offense, but not enough pitching. And I recall, at the time, I always used to think, "Just let them be five games out or less on Sept. 1." If they were fives games out or less on Sept. 1, I always thought they had a shot. Then, they'd just need to pick up a game or so a week before the end of the season, which is quite doable.

I feel the same today. I've given up on the East, but as of tonight, they are 5.5 out in the Wild Card. Since there are several teams in the Wild Card mix this year, I'll drop my number to 4.If they can just pick up 1.5 games in the next 10 days, and get it down to 4 games out on Sept. 1, I think we still have a shot. That means all they'll need to do in September is pick up one game a week. Remember, we have lots of games left with Boston, and we always kick their ass in the fall, even at Fenway. They can be caught and I think they will fold.

So, over the next nine days, just remember ....4 games out on Sept. 1.

If we're there, we can still make the playoffs.

3 comments:

RJC said...

Ahh to be an optimist.

What color is the sky in your world?

:)

AKS said...

Easy question ...

White, with navy blue pinstripes.

(lol)

- Alan

RJC said...

I knew you'd say that!

'The Banner' gets signed by ‘The Chosen One’ Nearly 30 years ago, my friends and I gave Don Mattingly our own special nic...